Toponymy: Park and Place Roland-ProulxOctober 23rd, 2016 0 By Florian Proulx
The Roland-Proulx Park and Place Roland-Proulx are part of the Sir-Georges-Étienne Cartier Square in the St-Henri neighborhood of Montreal. The park is devoted to tennis. It runs along St-Ambroise Street to the south.
Origin and meaning
A graduate of the National Conservatory of Music since 1937, Roland Proulx (1919-1980) undertook studies in painting at the École des Beaux-Arts in Montreal in 1940. In 1955, he became head of the artistic section of the City’s Parks Department. In the fall of 1981, the Cultural Activities Department presented a retrospective of his pictorial works at the Mount Royal Art Center, including his painting Le coin des pieds noirs, distinguished by the O ‘ Keefe in 1951.
Date of designation: May 18th, 1982.
Source: Les rues de Montréal: répertoire historique, 1995.
Extract from: Commission de toponymie Québec
Mr. Proulx, son of Prosper and Alexandrine Moniguy, is a descendant of Jacques and Jeanne Pilon
Biography of Mr. Roland Proulx here: Biographie
Complementary informations here: Galerie Molinas